Sunday, August 24, 2008

Photos I've been too lazy to post...UNTIL NOW!


That's right folks, the title speaks the truth. Inspired by a stranger with a photoblog that puts mine to shame, I've decided to try to take/post more pictures. I've got a ton on my computer so far that I haven't posted because the internet connection in my building can be infuriatingly slow, and the upload process takes forever (and often aborts for no reason after 15 minutes of doing nothing...I think that's how my computer gets it's kicks). Anyway, enjoy.

I'm looking far too proud of myself heading into Burma (Myanmar) on a visa run

This fine gentleman was kind enough to take my friend Heather and I to a fresh market on our search for a special kind of pineapple that you can get along the border. Our search was unsuccessful, but thanks to him we did got to see way more than the touristy stalls right by the border crossing.


I figured I would pet the end that wouldn't eat my hand

In Thailand they use tigers to control the coconut population.

A massive exhibition grounds built to host the 2006 international flower festival. Unfortunately most of the flowers are gone, but the grounds are still stunning. They've also got a giant parasol out front for some reason.


These pillars were kind enough to line up nicely for a picture

The doorstep of a temple

Young artisans at work

A drive in the mountains

I'm pretty sure my motorcycle helmet was being stolen as I took this picture. We hiked about 10 minutes off the highway to a waterfall, which was gorgeous (there were stands of bamboo everywhere) but the trip was soured when I got back to the bike and found my helmet had been taken.


Hmong children playing in a village in the mountains. I happened to be in the middle of a book about Hmong culture the weekend I went on this trip, and it was kind of cool to put the pieces together. I think they're playing 'farmer', a fact that shouldn't be surprising to anyone who's familiar with Hmong culture.

Lazy Saturday afternoons are the same wherever you are in the world






A village in the mountains

Nothing like the open road
Mountains Panorama
Second mountains panorama

This is how they get down on the dance floor in Chiang Mai

A young entrepreneur greasing the wheels of justice on the dance floor

The fruits of his labour

This guy built his own house...I kind of want to do that one day

This earthen coffee shop was perched at the top of a mountain just above an orange grove, and it had the best view of any coffee shop I've ever been to. That was a relaxing afternoon...

This was the view

Getting into mischief at the reservoir

4 comments:

Ange said...

Awesome pictures!

Anonymous said...

Love the pics. SO many of you have blogs! That's awesome.

I got into blogging while on placement (www.cpar-ethiopia.blogspot.com) but now post here: www.unpackingdevelopment.com.

kate

Unknown said...

i think you should get me a royal bengal tiger as a present. I'd enjoy that. I think I can tame it... Pi Patel did it. So can I!

Anonymous said...

The view from the coffee shop is fab... Glad you're taking so many photos. They'll help trigger all the other stuff on your "innerfilm" whenever you look at them in the future.