Wednesday, March 11, 2009

quality control

I just got back from a breathtaking game of frisbee. It wasn't breathtaking because it was so intense, it was breathtaking because you literally couldn't breath most of the time because of the terrible air quality.

Air quality in Chiang Mai is TERRIBLE right now. The huge mountain JUST outside of town that can be seen from just about anywhere in the city and surrounding area is completely obscured by haze.

I did some research and found that the air gets like this every year. I will try to take a picture of it because it's actually crazy.

In the US it is considered a serious pollution episode if the PM-10 level (the number of tiny airborne particles per unity of air) exceeds 50.

Today in Chiang Mai the PM-10 rating was 166.1. Yesterday, 181.4. According to the data the PM-10 levels haven't been below 50 since February 10th. On March 2, they reached a record high of 191. I'm staying indoors as much as possible but I don't know how much good it's doing. I have my balcony door open most of the time because I won't use the AC.

If things aren't better by Saturday I may consider skipping frisbee. Maybe.

No comments: