Saturday, July 5, 2008

gross gross gross

ugh, so it turns out i should've done something about that burn i got from the exhaust pipe yesterday morning on the way to work. basically when you're driving the exhaust pipe of the motorcycle gets INSANELY hot, and when you get off, if you're not careful it's really easy to brush your leg against it and give yourself a nasty burn (See Exhibit A)The skin turned grey and waxy, and I figured it should heal itself...and also, the first aid situation pretty much consists of a grubby t-shirt (seriously...that's the extent of medical attention I recieved when i sliced my thumb cutting bamboo for a trellis. it wasn't too bad, it just hurt a lot and bled all over the place. i had to take the grubby tshirt home to wash it afterwards so it was ready to go for the next emergency. i think a first aid kit is definitely something to put on the funding wish list).
Anyway, it hasn't healed itself and it was none too comfortable spending the day squatting picking weeds because the burn would rub against my pants. Anyway, yesterday night i lifted my pant leg and found these impressively painful blisters where the grayish area had been. Now I assume you wait? Don't worry, I'm googling 'motorcycle exhaust pipe burn blister treatment' as we speak, Dr. Google is on the case.
Right, looks like I should've run cool water over the area immediately...and then applied a cool compresses for 24 hours. But it's been more than 24 hours. Looks like I'm going to make it, I just have to wait for it to heal on it's own, and not fiddle with it.

You actually see people with impressively gross burns on their inner calves all the time from motorcycles. I was being especially careful, up till yesterday. Though, in my defence, I was holding a massive bag of REEKING organic material from the office that we were taking to the compost area at the farm. I think the recipe went something like:
Mix together in a garbage bag (with holes in it so that it;s nice and leaky) prawn shells with rice and veggie peels, egg shells, fish scraps and chicken bones plus some sort of...white soupy gunk. Leave in the sun for 2-3 days until it reeks.

Anyway, the bag was leaking this white stuff, and it STANK, so i wasn't going to put it in my backpack (i learned my lesson when i had to throw out my water bottle after taking it to the farm in the same backpack compartment as the office compost contribution), so i had it in my lap the whole time. It was really heavy, so by the time we got there, my arm was thoroughly tired, i had this gunk on my pants, which i was sour about because it would mean I would smell like Michigan for the rest of the day and all i wanted to do was hop off and get rid of this bag.
The things I do for the environment...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sucks!!!
seriously, Leslie, you are not invincible!! quit NOT taking care of yourself.
-hridi

Unknown said...

hahaha man i can't believe you didn't know to put something cold on it. Thats what you do with ANY burn. COOL THE SUCKER OFF. anyways... good luck with that and have fun popping those things when the time comes! or you can just sit there and let it pop itself which is lame to the max.

Anonymous said...

use vinegar!!
seriously, my grandma used to use it on my sunburns/every other burn i ever acquired as an accident prone child. organic apple cider vinegar makes it heal faster, but i'm guessing that's probably not too common in thailand? in which case, plain white vinegar does the trick.
good luck!!

Anonymous said...

...^^^^ from trish! lol

Ange said...

Between Dr Wise's book and my first aid kit, I'm so covered. Tsk tsk -did you not bring your book? He's got a thing on burns in there. Wish I could be really impressive and tell you the chapter number, but it's called "First Aid" and it's near the beginning, lol. Love that book. Especially when he talks about how malaria meds do just "mask the symptoms" of malaria, which is one of the criticisms, but one of the symptoms is death, so he suggests you take them anyway.

Anonymous said...

Smells like Michigan! Thats helarious! Wait... I goto school in Michigan!

How have you been doing?

- Alex Clarke

Anonymous said...

ahhh, michigan!? that sucks leslie. noone wants to smell like michigan. anyways, hope that burn is getting better. i was always told to put toothpaste on burns. i dont know how accurate/credible/smart that advice is. anyways man, thought you should know.. i lost a bet with my uncle (yes, the cool funny one) and he basically took a trimmer thing, put it on number zero..and ran it all over my chest. no lie. lol, hope you got a chuckle out of that. alright man, take care of yourself, thanks for that map link btw.

- rinku