Wednesday, November 26, 2008

More trouble in paradise

I just wanted to post a short "hey guys, I'm okay!" in light of recent political developments in Thailand. The People's Alliance for Democracy still isn't happy with the Prime Minister and in an effort to get him out they've taken over two airports in Bangkok, and the Parliament buildings. Grenades have been thrown at demonstration groups and there have been shootings in Bangkok between the two groups. The general word is that things are about to come to a head, the pro-government and anti-government groups just can't seem to get along and it is felt that a 'street brawl' style showdown between the two groups is imminent.

Conveniently, the ASEAN summit is coming up in two weeks, as well as a ASEAN leader's summit in Chiang Mai, which are two very high profile events. Some sort of disruption attempt may be attractive to people looking to garner attention for their cause, although the Prime Minister was on telelvision last night urging groups to settle down. He said something about thinking about how this makes Thailand look to the rest of the world but I didn't understand it exactly.

Slightly scarier is the fact that there has been a shooting in Chiang Mai, a PAD supporter was dragged from his car and shot near the airport yesterday, according to news reports that are just rolling in.

I haven't actually SEEN anything out of the ordinary as of yet, no demonstrations or supporters of either group. Just to be safe I think I'll leave my yellow or red shirts at home for the next little while (The PAD wear yellow shirts and the DAAD (pro gov't) wear red).

I did think it was somewhat humorous that the two groups fighting each other are called the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD). It kind of sounds like they're both fighting for the same thing...although in reality they definitely aren't.

Anywhoo, keeping an eye out for trouble, making sure I stay safe, working from home at least until Monday...When I've got to Make the 9 hour trip to Mae Hong Son to interview students for next year's program. 3 Days in Mae Hong Son...that should definitely give me some time to work on the thesis. Good thing I'm not planning to fly. All this airport craziness had BETTER clear up before my family is planning to arrive for Chrismas.

No comments: