Thursday, June 19, 2008

the AC in this cafe is cranked way too high

hot off the press: in just-before-i-go-for-an-afternoon-bikeride news, two of the girls from the front desk have offered to trade me thai lessons for english lessons (their names are Ying and Not). the only issue is Ying pretty much speaks NO english at all, and relies on Not, who speaks a tiny bit, to translate for her. I think my Thai is already better than their english, but I said i would give it a shot.

We sat down in the lobby of the condo for about an hour last night and pretty much just talked. It was decent, and I realized that Not's english was much better than I'd figured at first, but she's really shy about speaking in front of people because she thinks she's terrible. I can definitely relate to how she's feeling, but with my Thai. It's intimidating for sure. Especially when you initiate a conversation with someone, like ask a question or something and then have NO idea what they say in response, it's embarrassing. Anyway, I think we may have another session Friday night. I figure I should take advantage of whatever opportunities I can get to learn more Thai.

Now to get down to that bikeride..i don't really have anything to pick up, but I may go check out the furniture market by Tesco to pick up some kitchenware. With using my fridge more, I'll need to expand my dish collection past spoons forks and plastic plates.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude!? what happened to the pasta in the kettle experiment? i think that post would be a killer!
btw, howd you find out about the ultimate frisbee drop-in?
aite man, keep on blogging.
- rinku

Francis said...

already pimping it up with ladies, you player Leslie, you player. Thailand has no idea what just hit them do they.

Janeen Sawatzky said...

shit....keep an eye out for a lounging chair for me if you can....I need something to curl up in while I stare mindlessly at my laptop for hours at end........ps: passed the work on about your undying love for ulitmate frisbee and am coming to chiang mai July 5th ish to hang out with you guys before Pam and I fly to Bangkok for some meetings.....should have just facebooked you.....why is that a verb?