Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Laundry day

Written May 3, 2008

7PM

Today’s been a pretty busy day. We had a meeting at the office this morning which started at 9:30 and didn’t stop really until 3:30…except for lunch, which was fantastic. Then went to Office Depot, where I needed to pick up some graph paper because I’m supposed to go to the farm some time in the next day or two to map out exactly where everything is and since I’m somewhat artistically challenged I figured graph paper wouldn’t hurt. I think I’m going to call that lady from the flower shop and see if she’s in the night market today to try and get on those Thai lessons. On our way home from the store we passed a lady running an old-fashioned pedal powered sewing machine by the side of the road and I made a mental note because I have a few clothes with holes in them. Anyway, after getting home from the meeting I grabbed the clothes and went to a net café down the street and had an iced milk tea (yes, I feel the mundane details are necessary…they help to put things in context) which was also delicious and used the internet for two hours. On the way home I stopped by the lady and stood there awkwardly while she fixed my clothes. I was kind of conflicted because on the one hand, I’m basically saying “Hey you! Fix my clothes for a pittance!” but on the other hand income is income…is that right, even though I could easily afford to pay way more? I don’t have the answer to any of these questions. I do know that I would far rather take my clothes to a lady on the side of the street than go to one of the more major operations that you see along the road in stores, because I know that all of my money is going directly into her pocket.

Anyhow, after getting my clothes mended, I went to get my hair cut. I was pretty apprehensive about how things would go, but I ended up quite satisfied with the results and am planning to go back. I couldn’t tell you for the life of me what it was called and it took about 20 minutes to walk there, but if you’re ever in Chiang Mai, check out the Third fourth barbershop on the left past Wat Suan Dok. (‘Wat’s are Buddhist temples and they are everywhere in Thailand. They’re usually really ornately decorated with gold and things, and the architecture is really beautiful. You’re allowed to visit them, but you have to dress modestly and take off your shoes while you’re inside. I have yet to go, but there’s a really cool wat at the top of the mountain that you can see from Chiang Mai, so I want to go there at some point). After the haircut it was time to do laundry, and then to go back to the café where I’d used the internet because I realized I had left my disk in the computer…I got back and started writing this post, and now it’s time to go downstairs because I think the laundry should be finished. Sam bought a bicycle. I want one too, but I’m torn between getting a really good one and trying to ship it home at the end of the year, or getting a lousy one and leaving it here. I just don’t want it to break before the end of my time here. The other thing is, bikes are a lot cheaper here. I also wanted to buy a bike just after I got home, but I wanted it to be a hybrid bike, and all the ones I’ve seen here are either mountain or road bikes. Decisions decisions…shoot! I forgot! The laundry.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't invest in a great bike yet.. you want a hybrid when you get back.. trust me! :)

Ange said...

WASHING MACHINE, DRYER and AC?! JERK!!!! Haha. I'm so sick of doing laundry and having it not dry properly because of hurricane weather. But I'm too cheap to pay the $4 to have it done.

Mint = mojitos! I haven't gone searching for mint yet in Guatemala but I have been assured that they do grow it here but no one knew what I meant when I talked about mojitos. Very sad. Although a lack of disposable income tends to mean you don't make fancy cocktails...Cervezas are definitely king here.

Can't figure out how to call your phone. Next time I'm on the internet, I'll Google it! I've tried texting you like 5 times to no avail.