Friday, May 16, 2008

three two one blast-off!

Phew!
Hours of sweat tears and toil later my things are finally packed away. I ended up caving and getting another bag because with bringing the motorcycle helmet (which is MASSIVE...and not just because I have a freakishly large head) there was not a hope in the world of my fitting everything I wanted to into the one backpack.

In just 12 short hours I was able to go from this:

to THIS

Impressive, no? I thought so too.

Now I've got 3 short hours at home before I've got to leave for the airport. I thought it was somewhat important for me to write something before I left, as this will be the last time I write blog 'as of yet completely unchanged' by this experience. I mean, I suppose you could argue that the training and placement preparation seminars probably already changed the way I viewed my placement, but lets not be argumentative, I'm tired.

My gut is filled with a mixture of excitement and fear...and hunger. Dinner was a while ago. I am definitely feeling the pressure of responsibility, even though I am not entirely sure what form those responsibilities will take. I just hope I will be able to handle them when they do come. It will be interesting to see whether I up the independance and step up to the plate in response to essentially moving out of my house for the first time to a country on the other side of the world to do a job I've never done before or whether I crack under the pressure and cry myself to sleep every night. I'm certainly hoping for the former but you gents out there should note that there's nothing wrong with a good cry now and again.

The outpouring of love and support and well-wishes from those close to me has been fantastic and at times almost overwhelming. The number of phone calls and text messages I've received tonight alone has blown me away. I could not ask for better friends/family/loved ones/acquaintances. You are all awesome and don't you ever forget it.

Oh! My itinerary, for those who don't already know is as follows:

I fly out of Toronto at 11AM this morning (Friday May 16) and get comfortable for the 15.5 hour flight to Hong Kong. I'm slated to arrive in HK at 2:45 in the afternoon on Saturday (I'm pretty sure that's their time, not ours) and then have an 8 hour wait for my flight to take off to Bangkok at 10:45PM. The flight takes 2 hours and I arrive in Thailand at 11:55 Saturday night. Please keep in mind that this is the best case scenario. Fortunately I have plenty of wiggle room with the stopover...8 hours to be precise, so I think we should be all right. Also, I'm looking forward to exploring the airport on Hong Kong, it's supposed to be pretty wild. There's supposedly a mall with movie theatres and restaurants and shopping all inside the airport. I don't know how much of what I've been told is actually true, but I certainly intend to find out.

It's 4AM and I'm contemplating forgoing sleep altogether but fear it may be a decision I live to regret. I am definitely going to take a shower before I go to get as clean as I possibly can before heading to the airport, even though air travel somehow always ends up making you feel filthy by the time you arrive at your destination. Oh well.
I should pack my computer away and make sure all the essentials are where they should be. I feel like I should end this with something deeply thought-provoking about standing at this precipice about to take the plunge and praying I learn to swim before the lifeguard has to pull me out looking sheepish. But it looks like I just did. Here goes!

1 comment:

Ange said...

after my first two flights yesterday, I swear to god, my hair has never looked better. Go figure. Off to catch attempt #2 at getting to Guatemala! Good luck, dude.